Works well and is very easy to use.
Tavy Thin-Skin #007 Glue
The Thin-Skin System is so simple that it can be installed by both professionals and DIYers. The TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment is simply trimmed to size and glued to the existing area, using TAVY #007 Glue, to create a surface suitable for setting tile. It’s as simple as elementary school arts and crafts.
- The TAVY Thin-Skin Two Part Underlayment System was developed to provide an underlayment for tile that could be installed over any surface without adding additional height to the sub-floor
- TAVY Thin-Skin #007 Glue is also technically engineered to meet Armen Tavy’s specifications
- TAVY #007 Glue is a high-end multi-purpose adhesive high in solids, which will adhere to any surface
- Scarifying the existing surface before use is not necessary
- The only surface preparation required is to have a clean surface that is free from oil, water, wax and dust
- Tested by Tile Council of America
- Increase tiling applications by eliminating tear outs of the existing surface
- Allows for tile or stone to be set on any sound surface
- Lightweight and easier to transport (less than 15 lbs. per 100 square feet)
- NO dusty mess to clean up
- NO additional height added to any surface as opposed to current underlayments
- NO waste, all TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment pieces are usable regardless of size and shape
- 25% - 50% lower cost than other underlayments
- One roll of TAVY Thin-Skin Underlayment and one gallon of TAVY Thin-Skin #007 Glue will cover 100 square feet
- Thin-Skin Underlayment is ideal for making templates for difficult cuts
- No need to buy or install nails/screws
- Minimize overall load weight
- Crack suppression up to 1/8" over concrete
- Can Not Be Used For Waterproofing
Ratings & Reviews
Most Helpful Reviews
I did not do the actual gluing but my installer said it seemed to work well once you got the hang of it. Just about impossible to clean off any surrounding surfaces that may have had an accidental touch with the glue.
The 007 glue works well and is easy to apply with the correct trowel.
The other reviewers were right - the glue is very messy to trowel on a wall. I think it would be better to roll it on, it's very runny. Seems to have bonded very well, time will tell. Skim coating and setting tile over the membrane was a pleasure. As long a there are no future issues with this job I will be using it again.
I only use this product when doing tile jobs. Work Great. Fast shipping, good company!
Seems to work as advertised. Used on a back-spalsh and had no space for cement backer board. Sticky glue.
Messy to work with, so have all your prep-work done in advance. Coverage is not as advertised if you lack experience working with this adhesive. I realized about 2/3 the advertised coverage. Pre-cutting fiber sheets helps with the process. I did the thin set prep of the fiber surface within 12 hours of laying the glue and that seemed adequate, although no curing time instructions are included in the instructions or online videos. I feel good about the tile foundation (tavy over subfloor and plywood) and final bathroom floor (ceramic tile) durability.
Very messy, but I now have confidence tiling over plywood substrate. Glue remains tacky and flexible. wear long sleeves and pants that you would not mind discarding.
I needed an extra pail of glue to finish ~100 sq Ft but maybe i did not trowel efficiently..
Used this product twice so far, and it worked great both times. Used it to tile tile over vinyl in a bathroom.
The glue spread nicely and sticks well, however when doing a floor it's impossible to not get some of the excess glue onto the top surface of the paper which remains tacky for several days, which might explain why drying time is not mentioned anywhere. And if you step on the tacky area, be prepared to pull up and tear the paper. Additionally, you will only get 100 sq. ft. of coverage per tub if the surface is extremely smooth with tight seams. My coverage on OSB (flake board) was closer to 75 sq. ft. Unless you have a helper and get the job done quickly, expect your tools and hands to get really sticky, even if you clean everything every 10-15 minutes.
First time using this stuff and the only thing I can say is it's a sticky nightmare to use without a helper. Pre cut all my paper beforehand but still the paper rolls up on you as you are trying to work with it. The glue is so sticky that it can get you frustrated fast, get some on your fingers and you will become an instant magnet for any and everything. Cleaning it off anything is about impossible. The only thing I could find that would cut through it was lacquer thinner. As for the 100 ft. of coverage, I seriously don't see it, maybe the paper but not the glue. Although I only used 60 ft. I would have only gotten about 75 - 80 ft. out of the glue. Maybe in a perfect lab situation using barely enough glue to barely stick the pepper, but not for the average user. I think TAVY could have more simply made an adhesive backed peel and stick paper instead of this 2 part product.
used this product to install ceramic 12x12 over existing laminate countertop for a friend. Only had a Saturday to do the job so I got the tavy kit for him. Besides the fact that the adhesive is a bit messy and sticky, it's surely the way to go if your trying to avoid the whole tearout process..But wear some kind of gloves, keep your trowel clean, and have some paint thinner on hand to help rub out the glue that does get on your hands..also, the installation of the thin-skin will be a bit faster if you have someone help you. But with a little patience,(which i have none of), anyone can install this stuff..heck i did!! Great product and will use again for sure!!!